Work Injuries FAQs

Work Injury Attorneys Serving Brooklyn, Staten Island and Surrounding Areas

At SBSM, PC we help clients understand on-the-job injury law and explain all legal options

New York and federal workers’ compensation and disability laws are complex and frequently changing, making employees unsure about what to do when injured at work. The experienced attorneys at our firm have been dealing with these laws for many years and know what to expect when dealing with employers, insurance companies and the Social Security Administration. We pride ourselves on our ability to answer your workers’ compensation and disability law questions while providing you with a reliable representative who you can trust. Below we have listed some commonly asked questions and relevant answers but please remember: when dealing with staggering medical bills and difficulties obtaining compensation, it is always best to have a knowledgeable attorney at your side.

What types of injuries qualify for workers’ compensation and disability benefits?

Most physical injuries that involve the neck, back, arms, legs and head qualify, as well as occupational illnesses that are caused by the work environment. These injuries can stem from broken bones and fractures, herniated discs, muscle strains and sprains, carpal tunnel syndrome and any other work-related injury. If you are suffering from an injury such as these, our attorneys are on hand to assist you with your claim.

What should I do if I have been injured on the job?

Depending on the seriousness of the injury, seeking the proper medical assistance should be your first objective. As soon as reasonably possible thereafter, you should report the injury or accident to your supervisor or employer, even if it is not your fault. Your next step after that should be to contact an attorney at SBSM, PC to assist you with your workers’ compensation claim and determine your next move.

What is a third-party claim?

If your on-the-job injury was caused by someone or something unrelated to your job and employer, you still have the right to receive workers’ compensation benefits. You may also have a separate claim against the individual or party that caused your injuries. However, your employer or its insurance company may then be entitled to reimbursement out of your reward from the third party for payments and benefits received through the workers’ comp claim.

How long does medical treatment last?

The right to receive medical treatment and services under workers’ compensation law is for the life of the worker, with some exceptions. Generally, as long as doctors relate your need for medical assistance to your work-related injury, you should receive compensation and benefits. We can help you seek medical assistance and find a physician you can trust.

Do the following injuries and conditions qualify for benefits:

  • Hearing loss? Yes, for partial or total loss of hearing
  • Lung damage? Yes, often caused by exposure to harmful fumes, dust, smoke and chemicals
  • Heart attacks and strokes? Yes, if caused by physical or mental stress of employment

What if I have a pre-existing injury?

Pre-existing injuries are covered by workers’ compensation provided the current job setting aggravates or accelerates the prior condition. Although it can be difficult to establish, our attorneys have the knowledge and experience you need to prove your case.

Why should I hire Severance, Burko, Spalter & Masone, PC to handle my claim?

At SBSM, PC we offer unmatched compassionate, efficient and effective legal representation to each of our clients on an individual level. Our services are offered on a contingency fee basis, so you do not pay an attorney’s fee unless we recover for you. We provide comprehensive legal services from initial claims filing through settlement, judgment and appeals when necessary.

Contact us today and talk to an experienced professional

Our law firm has over 35 years of experience helping working class citizens obtain their due compensation for work-related injuries. We proudly serve employees and disabled persons in and around Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York, by helping them deal with employers, insurance companies and the Social Security Administration. Call us at (718) 625-2300 to set up an appointment at our Montague Center office in Brooklyn office. Hablamos espanol.

Contact Us