Skilled Attorneys Negotiating New York Workers’ Compensation Settlements
Our attorneys diligently advocate for the best Workers’ Compensation settlement possible
A settlement between an injured employee and the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company can be beneficial to both sides because both sides compromise and bring the case to a closure. By agreeing to a settlement, the amount of your workers’ compensation benefits will be determined in one lump sum as opposed to going through the system. However, it is important to keep in mind that settlement agreements should meet your needs now and down the road. If you are having trouble deciding what is best for you, our knowledgeable attorneys at Severance, Burko, Spalter, Masone & Laurette PC are here to help you and fight for the highest possible settlement.
We consider all the options to get you the most out of your claim
Even if you settle your Workers’ Compensation case, you may still be able to receive Social Security Disability and Medicare benefits. You also have the option to work on a part-time basis and can recover from a third party. In New York State, Section 32 of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law allows insurance carriers and injured workers to agree to settlements to avoid timely, costly litigation. Here are some details regarding “Section 32 Settlements”:
- They must be approved by the Workers’ Compensation Board
- It results in a one-time, lump sum reward
- The settlement cannot be appealed and cannot be reopened
- If the injured worker is receiving Social Security Disability Benefits and is likely to receive Medicare benefits within the next 3 years, a portion of the settlement will go to Medicare Set Aside
- It is best to consult with an attorney to determine what is best for you under your particular circumstances. Our dedicated legal team is available to begin helping you today.
Set up an appointment with us today and we will help you get a fair settlement
The law offices of Severance, Burko, Spalter, Masone & Laurette PC has over 75 years of experience handling Workers’ Compensation and disability cases. We have a proven track record of getting our clients settlement agreements they are satisfied with by diligently representing them through each step of the process. Contact us at (718) 625 2300 to set up an appointment at our Brooklyn or Long Island offices. We look forward to getting your case settled in your favor as soon possible.