What should I do if I’ve been hurt at work in New York?

If you are injured at the job, your first responsibility is to notify your employer and ideally file a written report. Second, you should seek a qualified Medical Doctor or other medical professional so you can get the treatment you need to recover. We can assist you in finding medical professionals who understand the complexities of Workers’ Compensation and accept it as insurance. Finally, you should speak to an attorney to help you navigate this complicated system and assist you and obtaining the wage replacement benefits and medical treatment you deserve under the law. Do not hesitate to call our office to speak to our attorneys today.

Having a skilled Workers’ Compensation lawyer at your side makes all the difference

Workers’ compensation law covers employees who are injured on the job, including undocumented workers. Benefits are provided to injured workers employed full-time, part-time and those working on a volunteer basis. If you or a family member has suffered a work-related injury you may be entitled to cash benefits for lost or reduced wages, medical benefits and possibility death benefits for surviving spouses and/or dependent children if the injury resulted in fatality. The attorneys at our Brooklyn and Staten Island offices know how to handle these claims and help clients prepare for the difficulties ahead.

Our dedicated attorneys guide you through the workers’ compensation process

Even if you are at fault for your employment-related injury, you have the right to seek compensation provided you were not intoxicated or under the influence of drugs when the accident occurred. Medical reports, accident reports and witness statements are common ways to prove workplace injuries and disabilities. Whether or not a worker is covered is a factual determination made by the Workers’ Compensation Board and it is important to follow these steps if you have been hurt at work:

  • Seek medical attention immediately
  • Notify your manager, supervisor and/or employer within 30 days of the accident or injury
  • Keep track of all documents and paperwork associated with your injury
  • You must file a claim for a site of injury with the Workers’ Compensation Board within 2 years of the accident or injury
  • Keep track of mileage to and from doctors, therapists and physicians because these expenses can be reimbursed
  • Obtain and keep receipts for out-of-pocket expenses such as prescription medications, bandages and any other costs associated with your injury
  • Maintain records of your earnings and tax documents because you can be compensated for reduced earnings if your pay is decreased because of your injury
  • Get an attorney who knows New York Workers’ Compensation and Social Security Disability laws

We provide effective, reliable, aggressive work injury representation

It is important to the success of your claim that each of the steps above are followed closely to ensure the best possible outcome. Our attorneys keep a close eye on evolving workers’ compensation and disability laws as they continue to change and evolve. With our attorneys at your disposal your legal questions will be answered and we will help you explore all possible avenues of compensation and recovery. We make sure all relevant paperwork is filed on time and filled out accurately to avoid unnecessary delay. We proudly serve clients in the Five Boroughs, Long Island, Westchester and beyond.

If you have suffered a work-related injury, you deserve compensation. Contact us today.

Dealing with employers and insurance companies to get the compensation you are owed can be a daunting task. The attorneys at Severance, Burko, Spalter, Masone & Laurette PC understand these difficulties and we have over 75 years of experience helping our clients obtain their due compensation. If you are experiencing an on-the-job injury, give us a call at (718) 625 2300 to set up an appointment at our office in Brooklyn or Freeport, NY office. Hablamos Español.

Contact Us